Misbehavior Against DNS Queries for IPv6 Addresses?

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jun 10 13:45:13 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 02:41:23AM -0500, Joseph T. Klein wrote:
> This is because sendmail looks for a AAAA record before an A record.
> The DNS at the receiving site sends a broken response.

Do you already have something like:

	define(`confBIND_OPTS',`WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')dnl

in your sendmail config? It is supposed to help with problems like
this. You should definitely complain to the zone maintainer though.

I've a script that is supposed to diagnose these problems:

	http://www.cnri.dit.ie/cgi-bin/check_aaaa.pl

Unfortunately, it doesn't catch this one, because the problem occurs
further up the DNS tree than the script expects. It seems that the
servers for milwaukee.gov:

	itmddns1x.milwaukee.gov
	itmddns2x.milwaukee.gov
	itmddns3x.milwaukee.gov
	itmddns4x.milwaukee.gov

will only answer queries for records of type A and CNAME for
gwise.milwaukee.gov (they won't answer queries for MX, TXT, AAAA,
NS, ...). They don't have the same problem with www.milwaukee.gov,
which indicates that there is some weird internal problem.

As Jeroen points out, all these servers claim to be 9.3.1, which
shouldn't have any problems like this. Fpdns also thinks that they
are a recent version of bind. I'd guess that they are forwarding
the query to some other server, which is screwing things up.

	David.