abilene -> he.net routing humor

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Jun 6 14:18:11 CEST 2005

On 5-jun-2005, at 19:00, Jeroen Massar wrote:

>> I see no reason to return my 6bone space (although I'm not going to
>> throw a hissy fit when my upstream takes it out of commission
>> either).

> Well you are going to if you like it or not:
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3701.txt

> Thus if you are using any 6bone prefix after 6/6/6 you simply are
> hijacking address space.

I look forward to discussing the meaning of the word "hijacking" with
the IANA/ICANN lawyers.

>> - people who don't know what they're doing are allowed to muck around
>> with BGP in IPv6
>> - people who know what they're doing don't care

> Those two issues really apply to the problems occurring in the 6bone
> networks., which in most cases are unmaintained by now and are simply
> running on air.

In theory people using RIR space should at least have some basic
level of comprehension but as far as I can tell, this doesn't
immediately translate to better routing in IPv6.

>> - hard to get native connectivity

> There are enough places around the world where this can be done and
> otherwise it is quite easy to set up a IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel over
> the v4
> infra that exists already. This still does not lead to routing over
> Korea and Japan.

Well, BGP may not be that smart, but generally, this shouldn't happen
if there is also more local connectivity.

> That is caused by:

>> Maybe we need some peering over 1 or 2 hop tunnels in places where
>> native peering can't be done for some reason.

> The problem with Abilene is simply Political Policies,

They don't want to buy IPv6 transit, which is a pity, but
understandable.

Having better peering would be a reasonable alternative for them and
networks of similar size.