abilene -> he.net routing humor

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sun Jun 5 19:00:06 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 18:44 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 5-jun-2005, at 18:33, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> > Fortunately in 1 year + 1 day we won't have any 6bone junk left
> > anymore.
>
> That is nonsense, of course.
>
> I see no reason to return my 6bone space (although I'm not going to
> throw a hissy fit when my upstream takes it out of commission either).

Well you are going to if you like it or not:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3701.txt

8<------------
   It is anticipated that under this phaseout plan the 6bone will cease
   to operate by June 6, 2006, with all 6bone prefixes fully reclaimed
   by the IANA.
------------>8

Thus if you are using any 6bone prefix after 6/6/6 you simply are
hijacking address space.

Or the other very useful excerpt from above's RFC:
8<-----------
   Thus after the 6bone phaseout date June 6, 2006, it is the intent
   that no 6bone 3FFE prefixes, of any size/length, be used on the
   Internet in any form.  Network operators may filter 3FFE prefixes on
   their borders to ensure these prefixes are not misused.
----------->8

> More importantly, the existence of the 6bone has nothing to do with
> bad routing. The reason this happens is:
>
> - people who don't know what they're doing are allowed to muck around
> with BGP in IPv6
> - people who know what they're doing don't care

Those two issues really apply to the problems occurring in the 6bone
networks., which in most cases are unmaintained by now and are simply
running on air.

> - hard to get native connectivity

There are enough places around the world where this can be done and
otherwise it is quite easy to set up a IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel over the v4
infra that exists already. This still does not lead to routing over
Korea and Japan. That is caused by:

> Maybe we need some peering over 1 or 2 hop tunnels in places where
> native peering can't be done for some reason.

The problem with Abilene is simply Political Policies, they can't don't
play transit for certain parties who they do give some transit to and
then these routes are accepted sometimes over japense or korean NREN's
as they don't get them over their native peerings. See the list archives
and many other discussions on this topic*. But they claim afaik to be
working on it. In the meantime those prefixes are basically useless or
at least high on latency.

* = http://lists.cluenet.de/pipermail/ipv6-ops/2005-May/000128.html

Greets,
 Jeroen