IPv6 Statistics was Re: please fix your broken DNS server

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Jul 7 16:35:33 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 04:28:37PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> >Some help here please. I am at a loss as to why I can't send mail
> >to the City of Milwaukee.
>
> The part that I find strange is that their DNS servers claim to be
> BIND 9.3.1.

Hm?

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @lpitmd-isp1.mpw.net. version.bind. chaos txt +norec

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @lpitmd-isp2.mpw.net. version.bind. chaos txt +norec

The DNS setup seems to be quite weird anyway...

gwise.ci.mil.wi.us and mhsgate.ci.mil.wi.us aren't RRs within ci.mil.wi.us
but:

gwise.ci.mil.wi.us.     60      IN      NS      lpitmd-isp2.mpw.net.
gwise.ci.mil.wi.us.     60      IN      NS      lpitmd-isp1.mpw.net.

mhsgate.ci.mil.wi.us.   60      IN      NS      lpitmd-isp1.mpw.net.
mhsgate.ci.mil.wi.us.   60      IN      NS      lpitmd-isp2.mpw.net.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @lpitmd-isp1.mpw.net. version.bind. chaos txt +norec

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @lpitmd-isp2.mpw.net. version.bind. chaos txt +norec

So the servers who are actually actually authoritative don't answer to
version.bind. at all, to AAAA queries only with SERFAIL and to A queries
properly.

Unless I'm doing something wrong here, getting rusty in DNS matters. :-)

Best regards,
Daniel