IPv6 Statistics was Re: please fix your broken DNS server

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jul 7 16:58:10 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 04:35:33PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> The DNS setup seems to be quite weird anyway...

It does seem kinda weird - I'm guessing that they are forwarding
requests or something. What I discovered before is below.

	David.

Unfortunately, it doesn't catch this one, because the problem occurs
further up the DNS tree than the script expects. It seems that the
servers for milwaukee.gov:

        itmddns1x.milwaukee.gov
        itmddns2x.milwaukee.gov
        itmddns3x.milwaukee.gov
        itmddns4x.milwaukee.gov

will only answer queries for records of type A and CNAME for
gwise.milwaukee.gov (they won't answer queries for MX, TXT, AAAA,
NS, ...). They don't have the same problem with www.milwaukee.gov,
which indicates that there is some weird internal problem.