6bone whois server operator subscribed here ?

Robert Fink bobfink at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 18:27:07 CET 2005

Jeroen,

On 12/9/05, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at unfix.org> wrote:
> Joshua Ronne Altemoos wrote:
> > isn't the 6bone db being phased out because of 6bone itself being phased out?
>
> Current state I know of is that objects that are in there remain in it,
> thus no cleanups of trash objects (eg 3ffe::/24 :).
>
> Per 6/6/6 the prefixes under 3ffe::/16 should not be used any more.
> 8<-------------------------------
>   Thus after the 6bone phaseout date June 6, 2006, it is the intent
>   that no 6bone 3FFE prefixes, of any size/length, be used on the
>   Internet in any form.  Network operators may filter 3FFE prefixes on
>   their borders to ensure these prefixes are not misused.
> ------------------------------->8
>
> Most likely the registry will remain a bit longer after that.
> www.6bone.net should IMHO be preserved for future reference especially
> as it was quite a succesful project.
>
> I guess folks (cc'd) like Bob Fink, David Kessens, Pekka Savola or
> Margaret Wasserman can tell the exact details about that though.

For sure, on 6/6/06 the 6bone address space reverts to the IANA (or
whomever is the appropriate body at the time). At that point none of
the 3FFE prefixes should be used. I would think the RIR community
would want an appropriate length of time to go by before the 3FFE
space is ever used in production to avoid hangover conflicts.

Data in the registry, and its quality, is totally dependent on the
individual site owners/maintainers, and that is highly erratic as it
is a voluntary registry and users are fading away. I would presume
that the 6bone db (registry) will only stay available for reference
(after 6/6/06) as long as David Kessens chooses to leave it up. I'm
not sure there is much use, however, given the erratic data quality.

The list of who owned pTLAs will stay on the 6bone web site purely for
historic info. Hexago is home to the 6bone web site at this time, and
presumably they will allow it to stay after 6/6/06, but if they choose
not to, I will move the site to another server. I will probably see
that the 6bone web site is available for query for at least 10 years
(roughly the length of time it was alive and functioning prior to
6/6/06).

As the 6/6/06 date arrives, I will put suffficient info on the web
site to make it clear what is/has happened and warning people of the
approaching end of the 6bone.

I have had maintenance access difficulties of late, with the Hexago
6bone web site, but am trying to work that out with Hexago so that I
can get some more current info into it.

Regards,

Bob