Why used DHCPv6 when RA has RDNSS and DNSSL?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Mar 31 18:01:44 CEST 2020

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 12:17:44PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> At my house, I don't even bother with DHCPv6 for DNS. I just use the
> IPv4 ones and let SLAAC assign IPv6 addresses to my devices. Just about
> done with the purist madness around this.

"In da house", mDNS usually does the trick nicely for "I want to ssh
to my wife's laptop to fix her time machine backup".

As soon as you have a larger routed network, mDNS falls short, and
(unless you have a windows domain) there are no existing mechanisms
to put a SLAAC v6 address into DNS...

Yes, thanks, IETF.  Well done.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279