Why used DHCPv6 when RA has RDNSS and DNSSL?

Roger Wiklund roger.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 17:20:32 CEST 2020

Thanks for all the feedback

I also run dual stack with SLAAC for IPv6 assignment and my IPv4 DNS
servers resolve the AAAA records.

After skimming through rfc7217 + rfc4941 with the "autoconf temporary"
being used for outbound and "autoconf secured" being static and can thus be
used for reliable incoming connections I _really_ don't see the use for
allocating a 3rd dynamic IP via DHCPv6 that may never be used.

For me the use case for DHCPv6 boils down to if you need:

PXE boot
Provide NTP servers (typically OS handles this even without DHCP)
Provide DNS servers (If you don't run dual stack and can't provide DNS
servers via Router Advertisement)
You need other DHCP options for IP-Phones etc.
Dynamic DNS

Disclaimer: It's been a decade+ since I did any sort of Enterprise IP
management so I'm happy to be corrected if I've missed/misunderstood
something.

/Roger