IPv6 plan for multisite corporate

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon May 21 07:59:20 CEST 2018

On Mon, 21 May 2018, Luigi Rosa wrote:

> Hi,
> one of my customer is a US corporate with offices literally on 5 continents
> and one datacentre. Offices are connected each other and to the datacentrevia
> MPLS, each office accesses the Internet via local ISP.
>
> Since they asked me to start planning for IPv6, my idea was originally to buy
> a netblock from ARIN (maybe a /40) and use it for the offices (each office
> has many different IPv4 networks).
>
> My concern is: if I buy a netblock from ARIN and use it in every office, how
> can I handle the access to local ISP?
>
> I thing I should NAT the netblock of each office to handle the routing, or is
> there some other way to do so?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming-06
might be relevant to your requirements.

If you feel you must perform NAT, make sure you do 1:1 NAT and not 1:N NAT
(ie, create a solution where each internal IPv6 address gets a unique
external address so you avoid all the port translations).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se