Fwd: SixXS shutting down 2017-06-06

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Mar 23 18:28:35 CET 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote

> One detail not mentioned in the /sunset page. Will you leave the
> ULA tool and registry in place (https://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/) ?
> I believe some people like that.
>
>    Brian

I'd be interested in some data on the use of the ULA tool and registry, I'd
especially be interested in use over time.  Is use of the ULA registry
increasing or decreasing over the last few years?  Basically, is there an
argument for further or new work within the IPv6 community on this front?
Or, should this service just be sustained as-is, maybe finding a new home
or new support over the long-term?  Or, should this service also be sunset,
maybe not on the same timeframe as the other SixXS services?

Personally, if anything, I like to see some new work here, but I'd like to
drive what that is or should be with some data.

Finally, many thanks to SixXS for their years of service to the IPv6
community!  And, kudos for planning an orderly sunset, rather than decaying
into oblivion.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952