Fwd: SixXS shutting down 2017-06-06

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Thu Mar 23 17:28:40 CET 2017

On 2017-03-23 16:46, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> As for the thanks, let me start here: *many* thanks.

;)

[..]
> One detail not mentioned in the /sunset page. Will you leave the
> ULA tool and registry in place (https://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/) ?
> I believe some people like that.

The whole site will go static, that includes the ULA list.

The ULA registry was always a inside-joke as they are randomly generated
they should never collide.

As the page states:
8<-----
ULAs were not intended to be registered in any way, it could still be
that somebody generates the same prefix and when not checking here, they
might use it.
----->8

People who have a need for a globally unique registered prefix, should
go to the RIRs where they can get one.

Page also notes:
8<-----
This file can be cached by other entities, solving any reachability
issues, and for archival and redundancy purposes. We hope that one day
either IANA/NRO can serve a similar list along with whois and DNS
delegations and will provide them full assistance to do so when the time
comes.

Thus plead with them to take it over. I am fairly confident they will
point people to the RIRs though.

Greets,
 Jeroen