question regarding over the counter devices

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Mar 6 14:32:23 CET 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 02:07:31PM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2017, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > 3G mandated IPv6, no carrier actually deployed it *before* they had a
> > huge legacy of IPv4-only handsets in the field...  could have been done
> > from day one.
>
> On the other hand no handset manufacturer apart from Nokia ever made any
> 3G handsets that supported IPv6.

I'm not sure why "point to the part in the 3G specs that says v6 is mandatory"
would have been so hard...

> Also, since you needed two concurrent bearers and the 3GPP network vendors
> charged per bearer, it also make IPv6 deployment extremely expensive.
>
> Yes, plenty of blame to go around. It's not only a carrier problem.

If you wanted reasons to not deploy IPv6, there have always been excuses
galore.

But then do not complain 10 years later that you have such a large basis
of IPv4-only clients and all of a sudden it's sooo much work...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279