question regarding over the counter devices

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Mon Mar 6 13:34:19 CET 2017

Am 06.03.2017 um 11:37 schrieb Florian Lohoff:
> Nevertheless - As an ISP i would never enable IPv6 for Customers
> without beeing shure that they are aware.

While I understand the concerns, since I was in this situation a while
ago at $ORKPLACE[-1] (you may remember me from your former employer :),
this is OK in the early phase, were you want to make sure that your
hotline won't blow up. If you want a significant IPv6 usage (which we
all do, I hope), you'll just start enabling it. We had several phases,
roughly and IIRC:
- enabled it for customers that ask for it (after announcing it in the
support forum)
- enabled it for new customers on the network side. The few ones that
enable it by themselves will profit, but this is mainly to make sure
your access network won't run into problems when going large scale
- after a while, started enabling for all customers network-side
- enable it on new customers CPEs (or whenever they reset their CPE).
with an appropriate rate of new customers, you will get nice numbers
after several months.

So here we are now, a good six-figure (or maybe even seven by now)
number using IPv6, most without knowing or noticing, without any big
issues rolling in from support. So from my experience I would say: be bold!

Regards
Jakob