question regarding over the counter devices

Sean Hunter jamesb2147 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 22:56:59 CET 2017

"...because there was a port-forward in the residential gateway..."

That's unrelated to the original query that started this thread. A user (or
device via UPnP, I suppose) had to have configured that port forward. What
happened there has nothing to do with default firewall behavior in SOHO
routers.

I could spout off personal experience but hard data would be better, and I
have none of that to contribute, unfortunately. Probably the best approach
would be for some group to spend a few thousand $currency and purchase a
load of SOHO routers for testing. I would hope that data would eventually
be published publicly, as it would be highly valuable.

I believe there was an offer further up the thread for the IETF to pick up
this work? I am not part of the relevant working group, but I would find
this data to be useful.