question regarding over the counter devices

Timothy Winters twinters at iol.unh.edu
Wed Mar 1 14:08:26 CET 2017

The IOL doesn't keep this data at hand for Ethernet CPEs, but I would guess
that over half today have IPv6 on by default.    I will add when IPv6 is on
almost always they have a firewalll.  If there is exact data the working
group wants we can try to run that down.

Tim

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 3:54 AM JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <
jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:

> Yes, CEs used for residential and SMEs.
>
> In all the products I’ve seen, IPv6 was even on by default (again,
> IPv6-on, firewall-on, but by default). For example, this is true for
> several FTTH (with and without embedded ONT) and DSL CPEs that Spanish
> providers deliver to customers, even if they don’t provide IPv6 yet. I’ve
> seen the same situation in several of my customers, recently in Latin and
> Central America countries.
>
> I’ve looked at different models of about 11-12 vendors, but was just
> using/configuring them, so not on purpose for checking this matter. I’m
> talking about my memory collection from about 4-5 years ago, so will not be
> easy to remember exact models/firmware versions, etc. In my own home, I’ve
> right now access to 4 vendors, 5 products in total, and all them have the
> IPv6 firewall on by default. I’ve another one from TP-Link that I believe
> was on, but it has been reflashed with OpenWRT first, now to LEDE, so I
> can’t check it anymore … Of course, OpenWRT/LEDE have it on by default.
>
> I’m not sure if they keep a record of that, but may be Tim/Erica (in copy)
> from UNH, that perform IPv6 Ready certification, have this detail in some
> kind of statistics? May be even they can ask the other labs that do the
> testing worldwide.
>
> Regards,
> Jordi

Now offering testing for SDN applications and controllers in our SDN switch
test bed. Learn more today http://bit.ly/SDN_IOLPR