SV: CPE Residential IPv6 Security Poll

erik.taraldsen at telenor.com erik.taraldsen at telenor.com
Tue Sep 20 10:24:01 CEST 2016

With all due respect to the actual power user out there.  For each one of them, there is at least 20 who think they are power users who base their knowledge on rumors and misconceptions.   They are often vocal (forums and coments on news sites) and they are the once who often are enlisted to help Ma & Pa Kettle.  At least that is what we see a lot of in Norway.  They simply do not have the ability to correctly diagnose the issues.  Solutions often involve "you need bigger antennas on the router", "Apple routers are allways the best", "the ISP supplied router allways suck".

So Bob-the-power-user buy the expencive huge antenna router and install at M&PK.  It does not have dual stack, therefore the application at M&PK therefore never tries IPv6 and the older UPnP solution works for them.  Bob gets an re confrimation that big antenas helps, and that the ISP router sucks.  Where a simpler and cheeper solution would be to modify the firewall settings of the ISP router.

Since I reprecent the ISP and spesificaly the ISP supplied router (where we do patch security flaws, add features, optimise DSL and wlan drivers, attack bufferbloat and give the customers the posibility of remote support.  Unlike a lot of retail products which often have to live with the software it was shiped with).  How do we set up the routers IPv6 setting in such a way that Bob-the-power-user do not have to be called in by M&PK to fix their broken app/network, but still maintain a level of security for them?  Is some sort of balanced the way to go?  Should we again push our vendors for PCP/UPnP support?

-Erik