IOS 10 (?) and IPv6-only WLAN

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Thu Oct 20 16:16:35 CEST 2016

Hi,

Update for the archive:

After several people mailed me that this setup should be working I
tested a bit further. It turned out that most of the time (not always)
the iPad was not answering Neighbor Solicitations sent from the router.
Since our WLAN solution (Alcatel =~ Aruba) does some fancy things with
Multicast in general and particularly IPv6 neighbor solicitations I
wasn't sure whether the Wireless setup was faulty.

Someone sent me a very nice link on how to debug this (essentially run
tcpdump on the iPad, see
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1176/_index.html).

Running this revealed that the iPad did indeed receive the Neighbor
Solicitation but completely ignored it. See

https://syncandshare.lrz.de/dl/fiX5fNH2Ccmp5nJhEbqhMRDn/ios-ipv6.pcapng
https://syncandshare.lrz.de/dl/fi7EYUXNX8df9gtZfCbiSXEp/ios-ipv6.txt

This seems to be caused by our special setup not setting the on-link
flag in the RA (since the wireless clients can't talk to each other
anyway they are supposed to send all traffic to the router). I assume
this triggers some sort of spoofing protection on the iPad, since the
source address of the NS is global and (according to the routing table)
not on-link.

I'm not sure who is at fault here (the RFC editors, me, Cisco or Apple),
but changing to the more standard on-link=1 RA fixed the issue for us.

Bernhard