Linux and ULA support and default route

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Fri Oct 14 13:05:35 CEST 2016

* Holger Zuleger <Holger.Zuleger at hznet.de>

> Hmm, what's so bad with still using the global prefix until the global
> connectivity comes back and the CPE gets a new one?
> Than it's early enough to set the preferred time of the former prefix to
> 0 and let them time out.
> In this way all local communication will not be interrupted if your
> Internet connection fails.

If the delegated prefix changes, you'll be simply postponing the local
communication failure, not prevent it.

I've run Homewrt for over a year now and have no shortage of annoying
experiences like for instance a movie that is being streamed to my HTPC
from my NAS just suddenly freeze just because the Internet uplink have
gone down and/or the delegated prefix changes.

The last year has convinced me that the best user experience is
achieved by having an in-home stable ULA prefix to complement the
ISP-delegated global prefix[es] [if any], and that all the internal
hostnames should resolve to the IPv6 addresses assigned from the ULA
prefix.

Tore