Slow WiFi with Android Marshmallow & IPv6?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon May 9 05:41:13 CEST 2016

I think it's important to keep in mind this issue is really
minor for most people.

For most end users all they care
about is that their Spacebook comes up in their browser.  Once
the system admin is able to implement a hack/workaround, no matter
how sick it is, and no matter how unfriendly to the network it is,
in their minds it's "fixed"

Residential and small business users that use the ISP's CPE router
simply aren't affected.   The CPE is going to hand out
it's own addressing as the DNS server.  If clients using it like
Android don't get the v6 DNS server from the CPE, they will just
fall back to v4.  The only issue is if the ISP misconfigures their
network and frankly an ISP is being paid to do it right, so I
fail to see why anyone would have any sympathy for the ISP that
does this.  So there won't be any participants in this particular
religious war from the ISPs or their customers.

It is only the system admins of corporate networks who are resentful
that they are going to be forced to support DHCPv6 by Microsoft,
and RDNSS by Google, who are the ones who care about it.

And unfortunately the computer and network industry has a long
history of dumping fecal material all over the system admins.

We have proof there is no technical reason DHCPv6 cannot work on
Android.  We have proof that there is no technical reason RDNSS
cannot work on Windows.  We have this proof because 3rd party
programs exist to bolt those on to those OSes that make them work.

Those programs can be waved around in the boardroom of a Very Big And
Rich company or in the conference rooms of a Very Big And Rich
government, by the CIOs, and understood by the ignorant VP's and
CEOs and such, which has a large enough spend with Microsoft
or a large enough spend with Google, to tell them to "Jump" so that they
will say "How High" and implement RDNSS or DHCPv6 for their
OSes.

This would have happened years ago with NFS if Andrew Tridgell
hadn't come along and written Samba to embarrass Microsoft in how
poorly they implemented the old ATT LanManager networking stack.

All we have to do is affect/interest one of those orgs in this issue
and it will get fixed posthaste.

Ted