DHCPv6 relay with PD

Ole Troan ot at cisco.com
Wed Jun 8 13:00:18 CEST 2016

Mikael,

>>> I've talked to several people who claim there are lots of equipment out there which will happily do DHCPv6 relaying of PD messages, but then not install a route for the corresponding delegation.
>>
>> That's perfectly fine behaviour by the way.
>> DHCPv6 PD snooping is just one way of doing route injection, among many.
>
> Ok, I invoke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment
>
> Does the DHCPv6-PD server backend have access to all information needed to trigger a provisioning system to install/remove a static route on the relay?
>
> What other methods are there apart from provisioning a static route on the relay? BGP?

At least these:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stenberg-v6ops-pd-route-maintenance-00

The PD relay doesn't have to be on the path, and certainly it doesn't have to be the only router on the path.

In the DHC working group we failed to standardise an engineered solution to pass options directly to the relay. At the time 3633 was written snooping was not considered a good approach (And also one which would fail in case of encryption).

We also tried (and failed) to come up with a secure mechanism for the requesting router to advertise it's delegated prefix to first-hop routers.

Less astonished? ;-)

Cheers,
Ole