Ubuntu 16.04

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Fri Apr 22 14:22:47 CEST 2016

On 2016-04-22 13:39, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a pretty standard Ubuntu 14.04 machine I just upgraded to 16.04,
> which means I get a "4.4.0-21-generic" kernel.
>
> I guess I'm using straight up network manager, because my
> /etc/network/interfaces doesn't mention anything about eth0 or wlan0,
> only lo.
>
> In the GUI, it came default with "privacy extensions disabled".
>
> I used to administrate this device using its EUI64 based SLAAC address,
> which was stable across reboots. Now with 16.04, I get two addresses,
> none of them stable across reboots.
>
> Anyone know what the thought is behind this? I want to continue using
> SLAAC and I'm fine with privacy extension addresses over time, but I
> want a single stable address across reboots.

Isn't it awesome that Ubuntu wants dynamic addresses on servers? :)

They have been told about that problem by many people already,
unfortunately, they claim to know better...

But, check your 'sysctl -a | net.ipv6.conf' you might find some knobs
there. Next to that, check systemd settings as that thing wants to take
over the kernel and thus ignores those settings and comes up with it's
own...

Greets,
 Jeroen