Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Mar 27 16:55:08 CET 2015

I don't think that having "things" in the mix extends troubleshooting.

My experience is that problems generally fall into 2 buckets:

1) Textbook ones (mistyped IP address, overload that's readily visible
if they had looked at the reports, or like you said full hard disk)

The time-suck in these are techs who aren't very experienced, or skilled
or organized (or all the above)

With these, adding more stuff seems like it extends troubleshooting -
but the real reason troubleshooting is extended is not because you added
more stuff it's because your troubleshooting staff isn't up to snuff.

Kind of like you drafted Billy Joe Bob from Hayseed to troubleshoot your
2015 Chevy Volt and it extended the time troubleshooting because he's
still looking for the carburetor.

People only blame the car for that because they don't want to face old
Billy Bob and say 'dude your incompetent, hit the books or get the F out
of the business"

We live in a complex world that's getting more complex every day.  If
you want to be a tech, then deal with it, up your game. When your
spending the same effort hitting the books as you are playing Warcraft
then I'll have some sympathy.  Otherwise go join the line of people
sucking off the social services.

2) really knotty ones that take a lot of time, like intermittent failures.

With those, it's very hard to draw correlations.  I have seen some very
simple, basic, 1-protocol setups that had really oddball problems that
took a great while to track down.

Just my $0.02

Ted