Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team

Matija Grabnar matija at serverflow.com
Fri Mar 27 13:27:45 CET 2015

It really depends on how automated you are at running things. It took me
a few hours to brainstorm and document an addressing scheme which lets
us look at the 64 bit suffix and be able to tell in which DC the host is
located and what is it's function.

The setup for our CDN hosts is completely automated, and it took our
ansible guy a couple of hours to write an implementation that checks if
a given DC has IPv6 or not and does the right thing in either case.

Even if you are looking at this in the time-frame of a month, that is
far less than 20%, and in the time-frame of a year, it is negligible.

Testing the in-house software that runs the CDN was more work, but that
came under developer testing, not under IT operations.

If we had been managing all our servers by hand, it would have taken far
more time, but then again, the number of servers we run makes ANY change
which assumes manual intervention unmanageable.

Best regards,
                   Matija Grabnar