Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at google.com
Wed Feb 18 00:29:58 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:39 AM, Anfinsen, Ragnar <
Ragnar.Anfinsen at altibox.no> wrote:

> We are deploying IPv6 (soon) and we are not buying IPv4 for postponing
> IPv6 rollout.

Obviously, if buying IPv4 addresses costs less and is higher quality than
something like MAP-E, then it makes sense to buy addresses and go
dual-stack instead of going IPv6-only.

I'm wondering what will change that equation in the future, industry-wide.
Do we expect that future equipment have MAP-E built in, and thus that the
technology to do MAP-E inline simply becomes available at zero cost as
hardware refreshes? Or do we expect that IPv4 addresses will increase in
price until it becomes a bad idea to keep buying?

Somehow I get the feeling that it won't be "IPv4 traffic goes down close to
zero" that gets people to move to IPv6-only.

Ragnar, what do you expect will get your network to move IPv6-only
eventually? You likely won't still be running native IPv4 in 2030. How will
you get there?