Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Thomas Schäfer thomas at cis.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Feb 12 13:36:00 CET 2015

Am 12.02.2015 um 12:05 schrieb Tore Anderson:

> And then if the gamer
> then starts googling this «IPv6» thing he might find out that it
> abolishes the hated NAT stuff entirely, and suddenly Microsoft's
> statement makes perfect sense to him, and he will actually end up
> actively *wanting* IPv6.

This might be so in Norway. In German customer portals the gamers mostly
demand ipv4 (public ipv4 address to their home) instead of DS-Lite. They
have already native IPv6 but avm was forced to allow "teredo" over DS
and DS-lite - because xbox has problems with native IPv6.

xbox is no good example for *wanting* IPv6.

> Anyway, this is how it is *today* for the XB1, and I've been told that
> IPv6 support for the PS4 is on its way as well.

Any public source/ statement from sony?

Regards,
Thomas