Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Thu Feb 12 12:05:59 CET 2015

* Ole Troan

> When will IPv6 provide me as an end-user with more "value" than what
> my current NATed IPv4 connection does?

If you, like me, like to play games online, and at some point find
yourself googling for the cause of connectivity problems (it is just
*so* *extremely* infuriating to have the game stall on you while you're
sneaking up for the kill, and suddenly three seconds later it recovers
only that now *you're* the one sitting there in a pool of blood,
waiting to respawn), you'd surprised to see how much grief there is
about which «NAT Type» one has and suggestions on how to improve this.

Gamers in this situation might also stumble across Microsoft's
statement that if you want to experience ideal online connectivity with
the Xbox One, then you'll want to be using IPv6. And then if the gamer
then starts googling this «IPv6» thing he might find out that it
abolishes the hated NAT stuff entirely, and suddenly Microsoft's
statement makes perfect sense to him, and he will actually end up
actively *wanting* IPv6.

Anyway, this is how it is *today* for the XB1, and I've been told that
IPv6 support for the PS4 is on its way as well.

Tore