Curious situation - not urgent, but I'd like to know more

Joachim Tingvold joachim at tingvold.com
Mon Dec 21 00:27:32 CET 2015

On 19 Dec 2015, at 22:37, Kurt Buff wrote:
> Has anyone run into this problem and solved it - not by turning off
> iIPv6 address assignment for the home LAN, but really solved it? If
> so, how did you do that?

Hi,

Disclaimer; my knowledge of DA's inner workings is almost non-existent.

I had this issue as a user some years back at the company I work for. I
had "native" (tunneled) IPv6 at home, and DA would not work. If I
disabled IPv6 (either on my machine, or on my router), DA started
working immediately.

It turned out that the FQDN used as the DA-endpoint (the destination
where the client tries to establish the tunnel) had ULA as it's
AAAA-record. When I confronted our DA-guy with this, he told me that it
used to be in the official documentation from Microsoft to use ULA. I
never actually cared enough to try looking it up (so I cannot say if it
was real or not, or if it was misconfiguration regarding split-DNS), but
in any case removing the AAAA-record (from the external DNS) solved the
issue.

You can find the FQDN by issuing "netsh int teredo show state" or "netsh
int httpstunnel show interfaces" in cmd. Do a lookup on it, and if there
is no AAAA-record, the prefix policies that's been discussed might be
the issue.

--
Joachim