Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sat Apr 4 01:07:33 CEST 2015

All of this assumes "normal hardware refresh cycles"  That may be the
case for ordinary office users but I got a million dollar asphalt kiln
attached to a Windows 98 controller with a serial port that says
otherwise.

Just wanting to point out that "normal hardware refresh cycles" more
often comes out of the mouth of the salesguy wanting to sell you
something than out of the network manager.  Most of them will say "if it
ain't broke don't fix it" first.

And switching infrastructure tends to be pretty bulletproof if you
buy good hardware to start with.  I've got a lot of customers with
switch infrastructure that hasn't changed in years.

"normal hardware refresh cycles" is something the Fortune 1000 have.
It's a nice concept but not one universally adopted by everyone else in
the real world.  Another one of these is "hardware service contracts"
That's not universally adopted, either.

Ted