Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Apr 2 12:04:12 CEST 2015

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015, Phil Mayers wrote:

> I don't believe the rollout cost was high. We used refresh cycles to
> upgrade to v6-capable gear, and rolled out slowly to grow our team
> knowledge. But we don't have detailed cost breakdowns.

This is my experience as well, if someone already has decided to employ
skilled people and tell them (or gave them fairly free hands) to have IPv6
enabled on most services in the "next few years", then this will happen
without very little extra cost.

If one decides that "We need IPv6 on services in the next 6 months" then
there'll be lots of extra truck rolls and immediate capex and opex if this
has not been taken into account previously.

It takes 3-5 years to get IPv6 running with minimal extra cost, then it
can be done as part of normal hardware refresh cycles and slowly
increasing exposure to IPv6 by staff. So the entities who have not started
yet and want to get started quickly will have to face increased cost.

I was involved in IPv6-enablement of a fairly large ISP and in 2007-2010
most of the groundwork was done going full native IPv6 instead of tunnels
etc, testing all platforms, working bug cases with vendors that had
software bugs, waiting for the fixes, testing again, then looking at the
next aspect like IPv6-enabling one of the services with friendly users,
run that for a while, then turning on more customers, enabling more
services etc. The earlier one starts, the more can be done over normal
upgrade cycles of software, you can help the vendor to get everything done
in a way that'll actually for for you.

Another strategy is to wait until everybody else has done this work and
hope you were in luck with the things you purchased and that it'll just
work out of the box without any preparation. This is also a valid
strategy, as long as not everybody does this :)

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se