IPv6 address on Safari 8

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Oct 27 20:03:23 CET 2014

On 10/27/14 1:43 AM, Antonio Prado wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some customers report they can't open certain IPv6 addresses using
> Safari Version 8.0 (10600.1.25) on OSX Yosemite Version 10.10 (14A389).
>
> If an address starts with 2A02 Safari complains 'can’t open
> “[2a02:ed8:4444::8]” because the first part of its address is not valid'.

Yes, I get that with http:// as well. With https:// it endlessly cycles
back to the "Safari can't verify the identity of the website" dialog, so
there seem to be either multiple bugs, or the same bug affecting
different code paths.

FWIW, I get the same with a 2607:: address, so it would seem that
anything that isn't 2001 is triggering the bug.

> Everything works for example with
> http://[2001:200:dff:fff1:216:3eff:feb1:44d7]

Confirmed as well.

I see downthread that someone already filed a bug for this. If there is
a URL where I can add a "me too" I'm happy to do that if it's useful.

hth,

Doug