Teredo sunset - did it happen?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 17:08:26 CET 2014

On 17/11/2014 15:59, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Did you update your Windows edition to the latest service
> pack/fixes/updates?

It's a completely stock Win 7 SP1 machine, which patches itself
according to Microsoft default behaviour. I don't even notice it
patching usually, but I think once a week?

>> No traffic flows however - the Teredo "direct connect" tests are all
>> failing (no reply to the ICMPv6 echo). So I've got a broken IPv6 tunnel :o/
>
> You likely are picking a broken relay or something in your network is
> breaking it on purpose.
>
> But like 6to4, as that stuff is anycasted, bit hard to determine where
> what breaks.
>
> Why are you attempting to bother with Teredo? There are a lot of much
> better and more importantly more reliable alternatives.

You have failed to understand my question, almost completely ;o)

I don't want to use Teredo. I want Microsoft to sunset it, as they said
they were going to, by removing the "teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com" DNS name
or otherwise stopping it.

This hasn't happened. I'm asking if anyone knows why and observing what
I see.

> As you are in *.ac.uk JANET has been providing native IPv6 to their
> network for a decade already. Hence, what is the problem you are trying
> to solve?

Well, the meta-problem here is apparently making myself understood :o/

The actual problem is I'd like to unblock the Teredo port so that the
XBox One platform Teredo - which is not normal Teredo, and is basically
used for IPv4 peers in place of NAT traversal - can work.

Before I unblock that port, I'd like to be sure that it won't cause our
unmanaged windows clients to change behaviour, so I'd like Microsoft to
disable it as per their plan.

See the list archives for more info on the XB1 stuff, or this link:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/88/slides/slides-88-v6ops-0.pdf

>> Any ideas what's going on? Microsoft, anyone care to comment?
>
> Does anybody care about it? :)
>
> Teredo connections are depreffed by all getaddrinfo-alike
> implementations, thus you won't use it for connections anyway

You won't use it *for connections which use DNS to resolve peers*. For
other stuff - for example, BitTorrent which has peer discovery based on
non-DNS methods - you'll definitely see Teredo traffic in some cases.

BitTorrent and other filesharing are actually a major concern for us. I
definitely don't want hundreds of student PCs to suddenly start doing
BitTorrent over Teredo...