Teredo sunset - did it happen?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Mon Nov 17 16:59:03 CET 2014

On 2014-11-17 16:06, Phil Mayers wrote:
> All,
>
> ISTR that Teredo was going to be sunset, Microsoft having tested
> removing the DNS name "teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com".
>
> (Ignoring the Xbox One stuff here - just the windows desktop
> server/relay stuff)
>
> However, my Windows 7 machine is still resolving that name and forming a
> Teredo address, and setting an IPv6 default route via that tunnel - I
> can see Teredo-encap'd router-solicit and router-advert messages being
> sent and received.

Did you update your Windows edition to the latest service
pack/fixes/updates?

> No traffic flows however - the Teredo "direct connect" tests are all
> failing (no reply to the ICMPv6 echo). So I've got a broken IPv6 tunnel :o/

You likely are picking a broken relay or something in your network is
breaking it on purpose.

But like 6to4, as that stuff is anycasted, bit hard to determine where
what breaks.

Why are you attempting to bother with Teredo? There are a lot of much
better and more importantly more reliable alternatives.

As you are in *.ac.uk JANET has been providing native IPv6 to their
network for a decade already. Hence, what is the problem you are trying
to solve?

> Any ideas what's going on? Microsoft, anyone care to comment?

Does anybody care about it? :)

Teredo connections are depreffed by all getaddrinfo-alike
implementations, thus you won't use it for connections anyway.

Greets,
 Jeroen