Some very nice IPv6 growth as measured by Google

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Sat Nov 8 16:16:08 CET 2014

* Jeroen Massar

> On 2014-11-08 11:34, Tore Anderson wrote:
> > * Jeroen Massar
> >
> >> On 2014-11-08 10:27, Yannis Nikolopoulos wrote:
> >> [..]
> >>
> >> And then getting broken connectivity to Google:
> >>
> >> https://www.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=general-12626989
> >> https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=3281.0
> >
> > Non sequitur. I'd be extremely interesting in understanding how
> > Yannis' IPv6 deployment in OTE (kudos!) could possibly impact the
> > SixXS/HE tunnel users' ability to contact Google.
>
> That is not what I wrote or intended.
>
> Something unrelated to their deployment broke. But doing the
> deployment does mean that you are now providing connectivity that
> breaks to two major providers: Google and Akamai.

I still do not follow. Is (or were) OTE's deployment broken? If
yes, is the reason for the brokenness the same as for the SixXS/HE
users? (Is OTE using 6RD?) If no, what is the connection between OTE's
deployment and the SixXS/HE problems you linked to?

> Tunnels do not suck, people who have broken clusters that randomly
> drop packets suck.

Let me rephrase: PMTUD sucks. Tunnels suck by association, because
they rely on PMTUD not sucking.

(Except where the tunnel can accomodate an inner MTU of 1500.)

> Note that even with a full 1500 MTU you will have
> broken connectivity to Google at the moment, lots of fun thus for
> those native deployments like Unitymedia who forcefully stuff folks
> in DSlite land.

This is news to me, both Google and Akamai works just fine from here
in Norway. Could you elaborate on what broke and how I could try to
reproduce it?

Tore