Large IPv6 Multicast Domains

Stig Venaas stig at venaas.com
Thu Jun 19 20:17:07 CEST 2014

Hi

On 6/8/2014 2:13 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
[...]
> I can't see any reason anycast-rp wouldn't work with embedded RP; it's a
> pretty simple mechanism (replicate PIM register messages). I doubt the
> mechanism cares.

Yes, this should work fine.

Regarding domains with different RPs and synchronizing state. I think it
is generally a bad idea to have multicast source activity in one domain
pushed out to every other domain, even if they are not interested. There
are generally operational issues with MSDP and I don't think another way
of doing it would be better. I'm hoping SSM will be the way to go for
interdomain in general. Embedded-RP is a pretty good solution though.

Stig