Large IPv6 Multicast Domains

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Jun 7 09:59:39 CEST 2014

On 07/06/14 08:12, Gert Doering wrote:

>> But anycast rp for resilience of nothing else is not uncommon.
>> What's the mechanism for anycast embedded rp sync?
>
> Now that is a very good question.  I have no answer to that - that
> used to be done with MSDP, MSDP is gone...

I must own up to being slightly rhetorical here; RFC 4610 describes
using PIM for RP-RP sync, and we in fact use that on JunOS to implement
anycast RP without MSDP.

I guess the real question is, is there a PIM6 version of 4610, and is it
widely supported. I know JunOS has it, and docs suggest NX-OS does, but
not sure about IOS, and not sure about any of them for IPv6.