Large IPv6 Multicast Domains

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 20:52:04 CEST 2014

On 04/06/2014 16:57, James Small wrote:

> 1)There is no MSDPv6 and probably never will be.  Of course you have SSM
> and Embedded RP but that doesn’t cover all cases.  For example – if you
> have a partnership with another organization and only want to share
> select multicast groups/sources then in IPv4 you use MSDP and MSDP
> filters.  However, I don’t see how to do this with IPv6 multicast.

Well, in IPv4 on IOS you want both MSDP filtering and "ip multicast
boundary", which filters both PIM control and data-plane traffic.

Sadly it would appear IOS has dropped ACLs for boundary on PIM6, and
assumed that the IPv6 mcast scope is sufficient for all use-cases!

NX-OS has "ipv6 pim jp-policy" and "match ipv6 multicast" options in
route-map, but this seems to be lacking from IOS.

JunOS of course has it.

It seems you can't do this right now on Cisco IOS?