Large IPv6 Multicast Domains

James Small jim.small at mail.com
Wed Jun 4 17:57:19 CEST 2014

Wondering what you have seen with IPv6 Multicast for large networks - for
example, large multinational organizations.  When looking at keeping feature
parity between IPv4 and IPv6 multicast there are two things that have jumped
out at me:

1)      There is no MSDPv6 and probably never will be.  Of course you have
SSM and Embedded RP but that doesn't cover all cases.  For example - if you
have a partnership with another organization and only want to share select
multicast groups/sources then in IPv4 you use MSDP and MSDP filters.
However, I don't see how to do this with IPv6 multicast.

2)      Often I see different multicast domains with MSDP between them
(including filters).  Do organizations just do one huge PIMv6-Anycast domain
and leave it at that?

If it matters, typically I'm dealing with Cisco gear though I'd be curious
to hear about any solutions.

Wondering if you've run into this or have suggestions where to look,

  --Jim