Question about IPAM tools for v6

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Fri Jan 31 17:15:49 CET 2014

On 01/31/2014 01:02 PM, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>>> Speaking of scalability - is there any link layer (e.g. Ethernet) that
>>> supports 2^64 nodes in the same link?  Any deployed such link? I
>>> doubt so.
>> Scan Google's IPv6 address space, and you'll find one. (scan6 of
>> <http://www.si6networks.com/tools/ipv6toolkit> is your friend :-) )
>
> Do you think they have somewhere one single link on which 2^64 nodes
> connect simultaneously?  (2^64 is a relatively large number, larger than
> the current Internet).
>
> Or is it some fake reply?

Apparently, it's not fake (although I didn't scan the *whole* space). I
bet there's some trick there, though. -- I don't expect them to be
running 2**64 servers...

With a little bit more of research, it shouldn't be hard to check
whether the responses are legitimate or not (TCP timestamps, IP IDs,
etc. are usually your friends here).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont