show ipv6 destination cache on BSD host

Matjaz Straus Istenic matjaz at njetwork.si
Thu Jan 30 19:12:18 CET 2014

Hi list!

I'm struggling to find a way to display IPv6 destination cache on a FreeBSD or UNIX (not Linux) system.

This is the way on Linux:
ip -6 route get <address>

Mac OS X:
netstat -f inet6 -narlW

...and Windows:
netsh interface ipv6 show destinationcache

...but on FreeBSD (I've tried with 9 and 10), netstat -narlW does not show any entries despite the local routes. On OS X option -a does the trick, but on FreeBSD I see no difference in output with or without -a.

Is there any other option for a BSD machine to figure out the Path MTU value for a certain IPv6 destination? OK, except tcpdump, of course ;-).

Any hint is appreciated!
Thanks!

Kind regards,
	Matjaž