So, time for some real action?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 20:50:36 CET 2014

On 06/02/2014 17:52, Andrew 👽  Yourtchenko wrote:

> Last time I checked, anyone with available days off can take them at
> any time for any reason.

Most places aren't quite that generous; notice, simultaneous team member
leave and "exceptional circumstance" clauses typically apply.

But I take your point; individuals are of course free, modulo such
concerns, to take time off for their own reasons.

IMHO taking a days leave because IPv4 is still required is silly. But
hey, who am I to say?

> That's exactly the idea. It's explicitly *NOT* to break others'
> networks nor to have the innocent users suffer.

Ok. But if you read the replies to the original email, it's clear a lot
of people didn't get that. So there is a messaging problem here.

> Having a defined day when others are doing the same thing makes it
> easier to allocate the time for it, at least for some.

Shrug. If you say so.

> If you are talking about the original wording on the AVAAZ - I'd be
> very happy to hear better wording, feel free to unicast.

My problem is entirely with the work point. Denying yourself online
shopping and facebook is just that - self-denial. Though a really brave
option would be to do that *permanently*, and let the retailers know why
you're *never* shopping with them until they're v6-ready.

Denying yourself the ability to work *in the field you're trying to
affect change* seems futile.

It would be better to go to work, try and work with IPv4 disabled, make
a note of everything that didn't work, then commit to fixing it all
before the same time next year. That's both far harder, and far more
productive, than throwing your hands in the air and saying "nothing
works without IPv4" - which is not a surprising conclusion ;o)

>> IMHO effort at this point would be best directed to the large, holdout
>> broadband providers in countries with low uptake (e.g. BT in the UK).
>>

> What would that effort consist of ?

That is an excellent question which I am not well equipped to answer. If
there is anyone on the list with insight in the UK broadband market, and
any workable suggestions and/or hopeful news, I'd love to hear it.

I note that BT have, recently, gone to the expense of deploying CGN but
not IPv6 - which is not promising. Aalthough the newest CPE has IPv6
stuff in the UI, currently all disabled, so maybe they'll turn it on
later...