Question on DHCPv6 address assignment

Mark Boolootian booloo at ucsc.edu
Mon Feb 3 20:22:25 CET 2014

Infoblox uses the ISC DHCP code.  I'm thin on details.

> 1) What's the pattern with which addresses are generated/assigned? Are
> they sequential (fc00::1, fc00::2, etc.)?  Random? Something else?

The manual says "When the server grants IPv6 leases, it uses an
algorithm based on the DUID of the client."

> 2) What about their stability? Is there any intent/mechanism for them to
> be as "stable" as possible? Or is it usual for hosts to get a new
> address for each lease?

I've observed a system obtaining different IPv6 addresses when
presenting the same DUID.  However, my impression is that hosts
usually retain the same address across time.

mark