IPv6-only residential service (MAP, lw4o6)

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at google.com
Sat Dec 6 12:08:26 CET 2014

They deployed 6rd as well, but not to that many users. I think it was not
turned on by default or something.

Another IPv6-only service here in Japan is "v6 plus", which I believe is a
derivative of MAP but with proprietary bits for authentication purposes.
(The reason why IPv6-over-IPv4  is used here is because the fiber
incumbent, NTT, provides a network that's capable of either PPPoE or native
IPv6, but not IPv4; I assume that this unbundling situation requires
authentication in a way that a single-ISP deployment does not.) That
service uses shared IPv4 addressing and requires either an NTT CPE or a
particular buffalo CPE. I don't think this service is very common /
successul.

It won't be easy to prove that DS-Lite is not being deployed, because there
are some fairly large deployments in Germany (Kabel Deutschland and
Unitymedia, both owned by Liberty Global).

If what you're planning to deploy is MAP with a full IPv4 address per user,
then that's proven, because Softbank is doing it. I'm not aware of any
substantial deployments of MAP with shared addressing.