IPv6-only residential service (MAP, lw4o6)

Yannis Nikolopoulos dez at otenet.gr
Sat Dec 6 08:19:55 CET 2014

On 12/05/2014 05:48 PM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Yannis Nikolopoulos <dez at otenet.gr
> <mailto:dez at otenet.gr>> wrote:
>
>     I'm wondering, have people deployed IPv6-only residential
>     services? I know of a couple of DS-lite implementations, but we'd
>     be more interested to hear about network operators deploying
>     either MAP or lightweight 4over6 (not just trials though, but
>     actual commercial services)
>

> Softbank (Japan) launched an IPv4-over-IPv6 service in August 2012.
> They use what looks to me to be an IPv4-in-IPv6 tunnel, but could be
> just a particular case of MAP-E with no portset. The service is up to
> 1G down / 1G up and they do encapsulation in hardware in a proprietary
> CPE.

I remember them deploying 6rd, but I could be wrong.

We're considering MAP or lw4o6. The problem is that our management
prefers "proven" solutions (i.e deployed by other ISPs) and the only
proven solutions I'm aware of are full blown CGN solutions. That's why I
was trying to find commercially deployed cases based on either MAP or
lw4o6. Alternatively, It would also be of value if I could prove that,
for example, DS-lite is not being deployed either :)

cheers,
Yannis