SMTP over IPv6 : gmail classifying nearly all IPv6 mail as spam since 20140818

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Fri Aug 22 21:17:25 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 09:56:32AM -0700, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Marco d'Itri <md at linux.it> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 22, Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo at google.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I believe the answer has to do with the fact that a lot of IPv6 email is
> > > spam
> > [citation needed]
> >

> I'm not on the gmail team and don't have those numbers. Nick asked me for
> an answer, and I gave him what information I have. My assumption was that
> since they do receive a lot of email, they have statistics on this, but of
> course you may not agree with that assumption and assume that they're just
> doing this for whatever other arbitrary reason.

	Lorenzo, (can you pass this question to the team at least?)

	While I'm not having issues, this is something that comes up
periodically.  If there are general statistics about percentages of
mail via IPv4/IPv6, spam rates in a public location, or perhaps
a google talk or similar, I for one would be interested in reviewing
that resource.

	Due to the 96-bits/no-magic aspects of many peoples IPv6
deployments there are many documented cases where the technology
for synthetic rDNS and other platforms don't exist [yet] or are
poorly deployed.  I (for example) have no idea what rDNS may
exist for a DHCPv6-PD received prefix from my ISP would or
perhaps should look like.  (Same goes if you want to talk about
adding DS and signing the rDNS as well, this may be more difficult
than many care to admit).  I know there have been some people that
looked at this in-depth, but perhaps some better evangelisim would
assist the community.

	(if someone has slides, i am offering to present them as i
travel to various conferences).

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net