SMTP over IPv6 : gmail classifying nearly all IPv6 mail as spam since 20140818

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Fri Aug 22 18:35:23 CEST 2014

On Aug 22, Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo at google.com> wrote:

> I believe the answer has to do with the fact that a lot of IPv6 email is
> spam
[citation needed]

> and the fact that if you can't/won't do what's suggested in the
> "additional guidelines for IPv6" then you can always continue to use IPv4.
If you have enough IPv4 addresses for all servers...

> >From what I've heard it's somewhat of a consensus position among large
> email operators on what to do for IPv6 SMTP inbound.
There is somewhat of a desire among some large email operators to
push the rest of the Internet to domain-based reputation, but I am not
aware of anybody else penalizing IPv6 senders this way.

> Note that from the text it sounds like SPF / DKIM is not strictly required,
It is not "strictly" required, but as soon as the reputation for the IP
will decrease a bit (very much less than what would apply to a v4 IP)
then all mail with no domain-based reputation will be delivered to the
spam folder for a very long time.

--
ciao,
Marco