PTR records for IPv6

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at google.com
Fri Sep 6 05:58:29 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM, David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:

> This would be why I would lean towards an DHCP-based solution: you
> configure certain subnets/prefixes to have "random" addresses assigned and
> others to have MAC-based ones (or 'static-y' reservations). You'd keep the
> assignment logs around for some period of time.

You don't need to do this by giving the host different addresses in
different prefixes. What you want to do is pick different source addresses
based on what destination you're talking to.

For example, suppose a given host has both 2001:db8:0:1::12 (static) and
2001:db8:0:1:d723:fa68:bb1a:0743 (privacy). You would want to tell the host
to use the static address for your prefixes and the privacy address for
everything else.

You can do that using the privacy preference flag defined in
draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-11.

Whenever you feel yourself wanting to use ULA and DHCP, bear in mind that's
almost always the wrong answer. :)