PTR records for IPv6

Erik Nygren erik at nygren.org
Wed Sep 4 15:26:35 CEST 2013

Is it worth adding that convention (with some guidelines) to the wildcard
section of Lee Howard's isp-ip6rdns draft or to a follow-on to RFC 4472?

    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-howard-isp-ip6rdns/

Given that this topic seems to be getting attention here, I'd encourage
people to provide feedback on that draft over on v6ops as I think it would
be valuable for that draft to get picked up and moved forwards...

Between mail reputation systems and ease-of-debugging, I think it would be
valuable for IPv6 PTR records to exist more consistently than they do
today.  (When I looked at observed client IPv6 addresses about a year or so
ago, only a tiny fraction of them had PTR records.)

         Erik