PTR records for IPv6

S.P.Zeidler spz at serpens.de
Wed Sep 4 13:43:30 CEST 2013

Hi,

Thus wrote Jens Link (lists at quux.de):

> I think vendors should put some sensible defaults in place, e.g. no
> SLAAC, no privacy extensions, no temporary addresses on severs.

I don't think this is really something the OS should do.
If a program requests a specific address when building a socket, and that
address is configured at all, it gets it on every OS I'm aware of.

In an IPv6 world, network services (aka, smtp, http, dns, .. servers)
should -always- be bound (and bindable) to specific addresses both for
incoming and outgoing connections. It's not funny if your smtp server
tries to deliver through the firewall with its http server address, which
is then Not Allowed (tm) :)

regards,
	spz
--