PTR records for IPv6

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Mon Sep 2 10:04:29 CEST 2013

Dear All,

In my opinion  requiring PTR for unauthenticated SMTP session is
reasonable:
- For authenticated sessions (users sending mails to SMTP server for
delivery) this is not necessary - since user is identified by the
authentication
- For non-authenticated sessions (mail delivery between MTAs and between
relay servers) is reasonable to ask your partner who you are talking to.
If there is no better method than PTR, than rely on PTR.  So you have a
defined server for MTA purpose, why you don't put PTR record on it? The
your partner can build some credibility information on this server...

For other hosts (not acting as a defined server) I don't think it is
reasonable to require PTRs.

 	Best Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Head of HBONE+ project
Network Engineer, Director Network and Multimedia
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Co-chair of Hungarian IPv6 Forum
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882