PTR records for IPv6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Sep 2 03:29:23 CEST 2013

On 9/1/13 20:16 , Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu
> <mailto:farmer at umn.edu>> wrote:
>
>     I see some value in requiring PTRs for some well-know service, but I
>     don't see value in a general requirement that all IPv6 addresses
>     have a PTR.  Which would basically require the use of wildcard PTRs.
>
> But in a word where multiple actors shame the same IPv4 address, a PTR
> is already a wildcard. Should we get rid of PTRs for IPv4 as well then?

No, don't get rid of them, that not what I said.  However, I'd be ok
with eliminating the general requirement that all IPv4 addresses have a
PTR.  I'm not sure it is worth the effort of such a change in IPv4, but
I would like to see us not continue the bogus requirement in IPv6.

Thanks.
David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952